Monday, September 2, 2013

Attention au Départ!

Direction notre histoire!
(Les Enfoirés - Attention au Départ)

Wallet? Check. Navigo? Check. Messenger bag? Check. And here we go.

Today was the start of a new chapter of my life as I will be attending Le Cordon Bleu’s basic and intermediate cuisine classes over the next 4 months. A year ago, I would not have imagined that I would be attending culinary school in Paris this fall. However, when the opportunity appeared, I just had to take it. The feeling is still quite surreal, but I’m very happy that I’ve made this decision.

In this year, I expect to learn the way of classical French cuisine. I hope to improve my French well enough to engage in a sustained and normal conversation with someone. Finally, I hope to become very familiar with the city of Paris, a city that I have always loved.

The first day of school was, as expected, quite unremarkable. I wish the school would do some things to get students excited about cooking or attending school, such as maybe a half an hour quick simple cooking demo that would serve the function of dazzling students. Instead the day was focused more on registrations and logistics. The most exciting part of the day was when we received our equipment: uniforms, knives and Tupperware. It was quite exciting to have something tangible to try on and carry around. We were repeatedly told to mark every one of our equipment so we would not lose them. Theft is as a matter of fact quite common in LCB.

After a few hours of registrations, tours, and rules (never be late, never enter the kitchen before the chef, never wear school uniform when leaving the school), I went off to a cooking equipment store at Etienne-Marcel to buy my safety shoes, which was the only piece of the uniform that was not supplied by the school. Our first actual cooking class starts tomorrow, and I will be updating this blog as I progress through the class.

Quote of the day:

"No jewlery, no watch, nothing on your hand, except the wedding ring (l'alliance), because those can never come off."-when explaining the dress code of Cordon Bleu

Getting excited with all these new toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment