Monday, December 9, 2013

I can't tell you what I learned from school but, I can tell you a story or two um...

Man I love college......
(Asher Roth- I Love College)

Intermediate Written Exam

We had the written exam for our intermediate level cuisine class. It's so weird because I feel like I just had my basic cuisine exam not so long ago, but I guess this is why they call this intensive.

Students studying hard before the exam

Students studying.... less hard before the exam


The school also decided to change the format of the exam, so instead of giving us questions printed on paper, they decided to present the questions from powerpoint, giving us 2 minutes per question. Considering that these are all fact-based questions that you either have the answer to or you don't, this format is actually really tiring because I would answer the question in 15 seconds... and then stare at the projector screen for over a minute before the next question showed up. I swear I almost dozed off a few times and almost didn't notice the question change. For this reason the exam took almost an hour to complete, when in fact we could have finished it in 15 minutes.

Just like the Basic written exam, the questions in the exam ranged from impossibly stupid, to questions that none of us have answers to. When the question- "How much does a crossbred duckling weight?" popped up on the projector screen, we all burst out laughing. How the F would we know that? I guessed 2kg, because a standard chicken weighs 1.2-1.5kg, and I figured ducks have leaner meat than chicken, especially the crossbred one. Answer is 1kg. Okay I have at least one question wrong. At least I got "Reisling is a wine from Normandy: True False" right. Wait, Reisling is NOT from Normandy.... right? Good.

I'm glad that I've been keeping this blog, because it helps me keep track of every class we had, and gives me more things to relate to each class.

We have afternoon class today right now, but since I skipped the demonstration class on Saturday, I can't go to today's practical class. Oh well, I'm going to go home and practice some exam dishes.


Practicing turning carrots galet 
I would argue that my irregular shaped carrots look closer to real pebbles

Quote of the day:

Classmate 1: Howard, I heard reading your blog really helps with reviewing the exam.
Classmate 2: Yeah, Howard! I started reading your blog!
Classmate 3: I started reading Howard's blog before it was cool.....
Thanks guys. I really appreciate your support for this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment