Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Oh girl, when I'm in love with you, Keep fishin' if you feel it's true.....

You'll never do, The things you want, If you don't move, And get a job
(Weezer- Keep Fishin')

Intermediate Lesson 13- Alsace

Our dish for this class is a filleted trout stuffed with morel mushrooms.

 Chef's version

 My version. Isn't it nearly identical?

I still suck at filleting a fish. It's definitely no longer like my first experience when I nearly destroyed the fish, but I'm still not quite there yet. I'm so glad I didn't get a fish for my basic exam. The trout was probably the easiest fish I've filleted, but then I discovered that the fish has an infinite number of bones piercing out of its flesh to be taken out one by one.

Honestly the dish is not that exciting, except for the UFO pebble shaped carrots that we had to turn.

Yep this is definitely NOT done by me.

What's more exciting is the region that we covered: Alsace. They say Strasbourg is one of the most beautiful cities in the world during Christmas. Personally I really want to go check it out this year, maybe after my exams. Any one want to go with me?

We had a new chef today for our practical. Chef Andriamanjoka hails from Madagascar and looks like he came straight out of a Paul Gaugain painting. He was really good to work with.

The Chef.


Quotes from this class:

Demo Chef Poupard: Kouglof is another type of legume (vegetable) that people eat in Alsace
Student: Wait, Kouglof, isn't that a kind of pastry or cake?
Chef: Yes, it's made from a dough.
Student: Then it is not a legume! It's not grown!
Chef: Mais oui! It is a type of made legume!
Student: Well is pretzel a legume?
Chef: It can be! Look I'm using the word legume generally to refer to garnishes. These kind of items can be generically called a legume if they are served as a garnish to a main dish. Understand?
Student: .....

When demonstrating how to prepare the trout
Student: Chef, do we need to take the eyes out of the trout, like we do with other fishes?
Demon Chef Poupard: Non, ce n'est pas la peine. It doesn't matter. We'll leave it on the fish so it can see better.
Chef Poupard was referring to the dead trout that he just filleted and boned.

No comments:

Post a Comment