Thursday, November 21, 2013

Someday I'll be living in a big old city, And all you're ever gonna be is mean.

You have knocked me off my feet again got me feeling like I'm nothing.
(Taylor Swift- Mean)

Intermediate Lesson 06- More Fish Stuffing

Today, the Sea Bream returns. This time, we served it with some shrimp forcemeat.

Pow Pow!

We had the wonderful Chef Ju for class today, whom we've met here, here and here. She's one of the sweetest chefs you'd get at Le Cordon Bleu, and I'm just grateful that I had her today, because my Sea bream sucked. The most outrageous thing is that sea breams were an exam dish for basic. I'm just glad that I didn't get that dish.

For this dish, we layered some grounded up shrimp on top of the fish fillet, and then wrapped the whole thing with lettuce. We made some puréed Jerusalem artichoke (which are neither from Jerusalem nor are artichokes). and served it with some diced tomatoes. The chef's comments were: Fish/forecemeat/vegetable was well cooked. Sauce too creamy (I didn't know this would be possible in French cuisine!) and the diced tomatoes should be smaller because they are for presentation.

Now a bit about Chef Ju. As I mentioned in previous posts, she is one of the sweetest chefs on campus, always giving us good and encouraging advice. Which is why it is funny when some Russian TV show that did a program on Le Cordon Bleu decided to brand Chef Ju as the meanest and strictest chef at the school. When our Russian (actually Kaszak, but she married Russian) classmate mentioned it to her, she just blushed and got really embarrassed. And then she got all strict on the student, it was actually quite funny. For the rest of the class, Chef Ju tried to be a lot meaner, though every time she got really strict she would laugh and apologize. "It's because you guys all said I was the meanest! So I gotta be more mean right???" Sorry chef, you're always going to be the nicest chef in the school, and a nice person can never be really mean.

Chef Ju Caught in Action (Photo Credit: Gulnazi. Thanks!)


Newsflash! I did not cut myself either yesterday or today! However, when I changed out of my uniform I noticed a big burn mark on my arm. Strange, because I don't remember burning myself today.

Quotes from this class:

Chef Caals: Martin! You have to come and clean my pan!
Classmate Martin: Wait... you serious?!
Chef Caals: Yes I'm serious! You really need to know how to do everything to survive as a chef. Washing dishes.... cleaning the kitchen.... setting tables..... babysitting..... and occasionally cooking. That's the only way you can prove that you are serious in the kitchen!

 -Demo Chef Caals 
cold calling a hapless student to help him wash his
Sauce pan with butter that he accidentally burnt.

During practical, when Chef Ju walked by my station
Chef Ju: Howard, why do you look so nervous?
Me: Because Chef Ju... I'm afraid my fish stock will not come out right. And you're right next to me!
Chef Ju: Why would you be afraid of that?
Me: Because I overheard that.... that the Russians think you are the meanest chef in the school!
Chef Ju: @#%^$#! WHAT? I'M NOT THAT MEAN !
Me: I know chef. I'm just kidding.
Chef Ju: Well you want to see me mean? Clean your station! What is that stain doing there? Why are there empty pans lying around! DO IT NOW! I'll show you mean!
Me: Oui Chef......

No comments:

Post a Comment