Friday, November 29, 2013

I wanna see your peacock, cock, cock! Your peacock, cock!

Come on, baby, let me see what you're hiding underneath

Intermediate Lesson 15- Berry

For reasons I don't want to go into, I had a pretty messed up night last night that resulted in having an alcohol-induced lack of sleep (less than 3 if you don't count the terrible sleep I had on the Eurostar). We had the day off yesterday and I went to London. Because of a situation I was kept up until 4 am despite having a 7 am international train ride. Oh and in my drunken state I thought it would be a good idea to wake up at 6:30am. So I had half an hour to get dress/pack/check out/hail a cab/go to St. Pancras/ go through security / go through UK and French border control/ board my train. Luckily I made it on my train at 6:59. The result was a head-splitting, earth-spinning, daydreaming Chef Kwok in practical.

Good thing that the dish was fairly simple. We prepared a Coq au Vin dish from the Berry region, which is a place that you probably wouldn't even stop for gas on your French road trips. Although this was a Coq au Vin, the school didn't give us roosters to play with because those would take too long to cook. Instead we cooked with normal chicken.

 
Boom Pow!

The dish was pre-marinated for us by the preparation staff (thank you!), and so the chicken was soaked for over a day in red wine by the time we got our materials. The whole thing was pretty simple. Pan sear the chicken so they get nicely browned, and then cook the thing in the liquid with some aromatic garnishes in the oven at 200C. We served it with some crutons, fried bacon and wine-pickled onions.

Ughh we have another 2 more classes coming up right after this.

Quotes from this class:

After preparing a meat pie in demo class (that we sadly did not make)
Demo Chef Vaca: We are going to let you take photos of the pate first, since we'll have to cut it to serve you.
STUDENTS MAD DASH TO TAKE PICTURES OF THE PATE
Chef Vaca: No wait. I need to put it on a presentation plate! No! Stop! Don't take photos of it on a baking sheet! You are just like my adolescent children! Go away!
Students continue taking pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment