Friday, November 22, 2013

Don't wake me I plan on sleeping in....

Last week I had the strangest dream, Where everything was exactly how it seemed...
(The Postal Service - Sleeping In)

Intermediate Lesson 07- The South-West, Landes

Ahhh, the first day of my intensive intermediate experience when I don't have a 8:30am class. Intensive intermediate has been rough not only because we go so quickly and have two practical classes all the time, but also because we've had multiple days that end at 9:30pm followed by class at 8:30am the next day. This means that by the time I get home, eat dinner, shower and finish some basic errands (and write this blog), It's already 1am, and I have to wake up at 6:30 the next day. Having the morning off, therefore, is very much cherished and appreciated now because we could all sleep in and roll out late in the morning for our 12:30pm class.

So did I take a gloriously long sleep in today? No, because before I knew that I would be exhausted by Friday, I volunteered to baby-sit my niece Clementine and to take her to day care in the morning, so I ended up waking up at 8am anyways. She's totally worth it though.

I hope we can become best friends when you grow up kiddo!

Today, we roasted a duck "salmis".

 Boom!

We each got a whole duck to play with, and this thing is kind of like a fattened up chicken with more residual feathers to deal with (it's already plucked and gutted by the time we received them, don't worry).  This dish was pretty straight forward. After roasting the whole duck in the oven we cut out the thighs to poach in its own jus, but continued to cook the duck breast in the oven. So the two pieces of meat you see in the photo was prepared slightly differently.

We served the dish wish some black trumpet mushrooms, button mushrooms, bacon bits and Roman Gnocchi, which is made with milk, semolina, egg yolk and parmesan cheese. My gnocchi actually was a surprise, as the texture came out really well. The problem was that when I rolled out the gnocchi dough, it was way softer than I expected, and so when I flattened it with a rolling pin it became way too thin too fast. The gnocchi should be at least 1 inch thick, but aside from that they were very well cooked.

Quote from this class:

Demo Chef Poupard: Pigeons, you can get them really fresh from most butchers here. I would not recommend you catching a pigeon on the streets of Paris. Also, you really shouldn't feed the pigeons on the street....
Chef Stril (Shouting across the hall from another room, and totally out of nowhere): So you mean you hate animals?? Why are you so mean to them?
Chef Poupard *Roll eyes*: It has nothing to do with being nice or mean to them! It is illegal to feed pigeons in France and you can be fined for up to 450 euros!

No comments:

Post a Comment