Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Just Give Me a Reason, Just a Little Bit's Enough.

It's in the stars, It's been written in the scars on our hearts
(P!ink- Just Give Me A Reason)

Lesson 27- Fileting a Fish (Review)

Today we made pan seared Sea Bream Fillets:


I'd like to talk more about this dish, but frankly my dear I don't give a damn anymore. For practical, we had Mr Napoleon Dynamite again, whom we encountered earlier in the semester. Though he was markedly better this time around, he still walked around making inappropriate comments and taunting students, all in the name of keeping the atmosphere light. I swear this guy enjoys power-tripping over everyone because he has some personal insecurity issues (for one, his lack-of height). I think our German classmate got so upset that she cried in the locker room because of something he said in German about German women. Personally, I was so annoyed at the way he belittled every student throughout the class that I messed up my fish and the skin was peeling off. Then, when I was talking my photo he yelled at me because I was already late.

At the end of the class, he walked around handing students paper notes with "0" written on it, saying they're getting zeros for their grade because of some silly reason, then laughed and said that he was only kidding. When I was washing my knives, he handed the "0" to me because I was "washing my knives too slow." I almost lost it. I've kicked the asses of bigger men in college kendo and chewed up tougher guys at Morgan Stanley + Harvard Business School than him. I remained respectful to him throughout the class because to paraphrase Band of Brothers, I respect the rank not the man. I'm sure he's an accomplished chef, and I respect his willingness to become a teacher, but bullying students because he can hide behind his position as Chef is cowardly and shameful. Just give me a reason just a little bit's enough, Chef, and I will devour you for breakfast à la Michael Phelps.

Anyways, I think my classmates noticed that I wasn't amused, and tried to console me after class. I'm very grateful for having supportive classmates.

Something constructive: If you put a round parchment paper directly on a regular pan, you can turn any pan into a make-shift non-stick pan. Doesn't work perfectly, but may be a lifesaving technique someday.

Quote from this class:

At the end of practical, I was last to leave the classroom
Chef: Ou-ard, you're the slowest to leave the classroom. For that you get a DOUBLE ZERO for your grade. *Hands a piece a paper with "00" written on it.
Me: Merci Chef. Do you know what I see on this piece of paper?
Chef: No... what?
Me: To me, that's an infinite sign (∞). Thank you for the grade.
Chef: What are you...... an engineer?
Me: No Chef, I'm a culinary student.


Fuck you, @$$hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment