Monday, October 14, 2013

Kiss Me Hard Before You Go, Summertime Sadness…



Lesson 19- Balanced Menu / Thickening a Sauce with Egg Yolk

Fall/ Autumn has most definitely arrived at Paris, with temperatures hovering stubbornly around 10C (50F) and the sun setting at 7pm. Time to say good bye to those endless days of sunshine and hot nights with cool breezes. Thank you summer 2013, you’ve been beautiful.

Perhaps it is fitting for the cold weather that today we made a traditional veal stew, garnished with button mushrooms and pearl onions made A l’Ancienne, which is similar to glazing but without drying out the cooking liquid or coloring the product. We served this with a Rice Pilaf.


Boom

In French cuisine, when you see the word “traditional,” you can bet that there will be an excessive amount of butter or cream (or both) incorporated. In this case, there’s a mind-blowing amount of cream in the stew sauce. There’s even butter stirred into the Rice Pilaf (Pourquoi?!). I have to admit, though, that this dish is really delicious. Just don’t eat more than 1 bite and you’ll love it.

The interesting part of today’s dish is that we thickened the sauce with White Roux (equal parts of melted butter and flour), cream and egg yolk. The egg yolk is the trickiest because it prohibits the cook from ever boiling the sauce again or the egg yolk will coagulate.

Review of my dish: Flavor was good. Veal was tender. Mushrooms and onions were well cooked. The only problem was that my sauce wasn’t thick enough. For whatever reason, despite following the appropriate ratios, my sauce came out too liquid. The chef recommended that I put some beurre manié to thicken it, but then you need to boil the sauce to activate the thickening agent, and that would cook the egg yolk. Great. Also the chef said I put too much sauce on my dish, but isn’t this suppose to be a stew dish?


No quote from today’s class, but I’m sad to report that I said “Oui, chef” to the train conductor when he asked for my ticket on my train ride back from Bordeaux the other day. FML.

No comments:

Post a Comment