Saturday, October 5, 2013

Why should it be that the fish in the sea are all unable to sing?

Just listen to me young fellow. What need is there for fish to sing, when I can roar and bellow? 
(Mr Scruff- Fish)

Lesson 15- Brill Fillets in White Wine Sauce

Ugh we've had fish for two classes in a row, and my fingers now perpetually smell like fish. Then again, we had a wonderful brill fillet dish today.




This is the second time that we filleted a fish, and again it is a type of flatfish. I have to admit that this time has been much easier than our first time. Although I screwed up 2 of my slices, I am proud to say that my 2 other slices came out remarkably well, with minimal meat left on the bones. Deskinning was also pretty straightforward. On the other hand, the brill so much more slippery than the lemon sole, and it was not pleasant handling it. As with last time, we braised the fish in a stock made by the fish's own bones. Cruel.

The real challenge was the turned potatoes anglaise shape, IE big 4-5 cm pieces of potatoes cut into oval shapes. Turning has been one of the hardest skills for me master. I've always flunked grade school arts & crafts class, so I really don't think I can improve much here.

Chef Legue's comments for me is "Fish is well cooked. Sauce is well flavored. Potatoes are well cooked but need to be uniform in size." Uniform in size? Do you realize how proud I was just to make those potatoes look decently turned? Anyways, I guess I'll just have to keep practicing!

The braising liquid used:
Fish stock (Brill bones, 1/4 onion, 2 shallots, butter, Bouquet Garni, White wine and cold water)
Cooking Garnish (1 chopped onion, 2 chopped shallots, 3 tomatoes peeled, skinned and chopped)
We then turned the braising liquid into a sauce:
add: 100ml white wine
REDUCE!
add 125g butter
add 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley as late as possible
Boom

Surprisingly we didn't have to strain the sauce today before serving.

Quote from this class:

"This is a Brill. It's a type of flatfish that lies at the bottom of the ocean floor. Kind of like the lemon sole that you had earlier in the term. Flat fishes swim like this." *WOBBLES the dead brill vertically* Fish refuses to wobble "Rigidity is a sign of freshness in a fish."
... Later in the class
"This is a Salmon. It swims normally in the sea. Like this." *WOBBLES the dead salmon horizontally*
- Demo Chef Legue

No comments:

Post a Comment